Stick a fork in me, I’m done…priming Diamond T parts, that is.

Posted: August 1, 2011 in Diamond T truck

Well, I’m done priming.  I’d have been done two weeks ago, if not for the absolutely TERRIBLE gel-coat on the rear fenders.  There were hundreds of pits in the gel-coat, which showed up when I hit them with the light grey primer.  After probably twenty hours of work, drilling the pits out, filling them, re-priming, finding more, fixing those, and re-priming, I think I’ve got them. 

The beads of the fenders were the worst, must have been hard for the minimum wage dufus spraying gel-coat in the mold to get an even coat, but there were pits everywhere.  It was quite a job filling them.  Hopefully, they won’t develop more setting out in the sun after being painted.  We’ll see. 

Everything looks good now, and I’ve sanded all with 220 and 320.  One more pass with 380 or 400 (whatever I’ve got in the cabinet) and I’ll be ready to paint.  YIPPEE!

I’ll paint the fenders, hood, running boards and all the little parts first, then I can move them outside and paint the box and cab.   After that, polish and it can start going back together. 

I’m happy!

  1. can’t wait to see those parts in paint! great job!

  2. flynbrian48 says:

    Me too! I’m tired of looking at it in primer, and in pieces.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s